The other day, I bought quinoa and tonight was the night to be adventurous with it! I am on a mission to clean out my pantry little by little. So I grabbed a Quaker’s Honey Bran Low-Fat Muffin Mix and decided to whip up something for breakfast/snack.
Health-Kick Carrot Muffins
- Half a package of Quaker’s Honey Bran Low-Fat Muffin Mix
- 1.5 cups cold water
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds
- 1/2 cup uncooked oatmeal
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa, drained & cooled (boil dried quinoa in 1/2 cup water for 15 minutes)
- 1 cup grated carrots (just use a cheese grater)
- 1/2 ~ 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon, depending on how you feel
- 1/4 ~ 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves, depending on how you feel
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2) In a bowl, mix together the muffin mix, flax seeds, oatmeal, cooked quinoa, carrots, cinnamon, and cloves.
3) Pour in 1 cup of water and get the dry ingredients wet. Pour the rest of the water to get that perfect muffin batter consistency – kind of watery but thick enough that it sticks to your wooden spoon.
4) Spray the muffin tins with non-stick spray. Fill up the muffin tins just past 3/4 of the way full.
5) Bake for 20 ~ 25 minutes. The best no-fail test to see if they are done is the toothpick test. Poke the centre of few muffins with a toothpick (all the way in) and if it comes out clean with no gooey mess, it’s done!
The quinoa adds a great nutty flavour to the muffins! It is very high in protein content, fiber, iron, mangnesium, and phosphorous. It also has a balanced set of essential amino acids. So that half a cup of quinoa and a battery of other healthy ingredients can really start you up to a wonderful day!